Monday 20 October 2014

DIY | Handmade Blanket Coat | Tutorial


The blanket coat is this autumn’s cosiest trend. 
These chunky capes seen in checks, stripes or aztec prints are great thrown on over any outfit come rain or shine. And seeing as it's highly unlikely I'll ever be able to afford the original Burberry Prosum monogrammed cape, seen on Cara and Jourdan in the AW14 show, I thought I’d have a go at making my own for a little cheaper…

I found this luxurious tweed woven material at my local fabric store and just had to make something using it. There was a black and white version too so I picked a couple of meters of each up. I experimented with a few design ideas using pattern paper. In the end this shape seemed to work the best and fitted how I wanted to it. If you want to make your own or want to see how I styled mine up read on …


I used…

Approx 2 meters of chosen fabric
Scissors
Thread
Sewing machine
Pins
Tape measure
Binding tape (optional)
Cup of tea (recommended)

The cape is a large rectangle, so I measured out 55 inches wide by 65 inches long and cut out. I then measured half way along the width on one side and measured straight down 30 inches and cut, to create the neckline.

Then it was time to get out the sewing machine. To finish nicely I overstitched all the raw edges then turned them over to the inside about 1cm and stitched for a neat edge. I stitched all the way round the edge and neckline. I curved the neckline cut to a U shape at the top and reinforced it with a bit of black binding tape before turning it under.


And that’s it! Simple right?!


I really want to try making ones with extra tassels or a clasp at the top but for now I am styling mine up with a fur collar I bought last year from Topshop and holding it all together with a black belt.






My handmade version was cheaper than most capes on the highstreet at the moment and only took a few hours to make one night after work! It’s so easy, even if you aren’t that experienced with sewing, why not have a go yourself and surprise yourself at what you can make.


I would love to hear your comments and if you have made anything similar. Tweet me or follow me on Instagram and if you love Pinterest check out my Style board for more blanket capes to lust over! 



SHARE:

8 comments

  1. Oh my word. How have I not come across your blog before? Your style is amazing & the fact you made it yourself is just brilliant. Can I commission you to make me one? Ha! The colours are just great! Can't wait to read more!!!

    Rebecca xxx
    www.queenbeady.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that's so lovely of you! Thank you! Of course you can! I am making them for my friends for £30 so if your interested direct message me on twitter and Ill get some material this weekend :)

      Loving your blog btw :)

      xx

      Delete
  2. Wow I love it! You did an amazing job! It does look easy but I'm afraid I will still mess up... Lol guess I should at least try :)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you! It was so fun to make!
      I am sure you wont mess it up! Give it a go!

      xx

      Delete
  3. Woww! So creative!! I love how simple it is and the way you styled it with the fur collar. Love it!! Will have to try this out when Autumn and Winter ishere in Australia. :)
    ♥Natalie
    Yours Truly, NY



    ReplyDelete
  4. So clever - it looks fabulous! :)

    Style Sunrise☀

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope i am still in your order book! Xx

    ReplyDelete

© Made Up Style. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig